RANDOM MUSINGS

cry me a river

Using waterproof/ water resistant makeup during the summer months is pretty much a given.  What with the humidity, sweat, pools, oceans you really can’t live without at LEAST BADgal waterproof pencil and BADgal waterproof mascara (and if you’re me, Benetint, Posietint and creasless cream eye shadows but who’s really counting)

However, I have another reason to wear these items year round……onions.

I have a SERIOUS problem with onions.  I love eating them and use them in most of my cooking, but they absolutely hate me.  I know they make people cry, but they make me sob.  My eyes pour water, turn bright red, swell, and all kinds of lovely things.  I’ve tried everything from burning a candle while cutting onions to chewing gum while cutting onions to blowing a fan over the cutting board during chopping;  Nothing works.  I have resorted to the following highly embarrassing but effective method:

sad state of affairs

Yes, that is me…cutting onions for my dinner last night…wearing ski goggles.

I can’t go on like this.  I need some advice.  Anyone have any random, weird effective methods for cutting onions which don’t involve wearing foul weather gear?

I will say though that my makeup stays perfectly in place without nary a smudge or drip! So if my mascara can stay on during the flood of tears while cooking dinner, I’m positive it will work for you during those balmy summer nights.

What we go through as women…geesh.

12 Responses to “cry me a river”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Felipa says:

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay.

I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

2. Skip Hire says:

You need to take part in a contest ffor one of the greatest wesites online.
    I most certainly will highly recommend this blog!

3. ZelleBelle says:

Wearing goggles may stop the sulfur fumes from the onion making direct contact with your eyes, but you may find you still produce tears. This is because you are breathing the fumes in through your nose. The fumes are able to irritate your eyes via your nose because we have a duct (called the nasolacrimal duct and sometimes called the tear duct) that connects our eyes to the nasal cavity. So cool the onion first (which I find helps to stop the release of fumes), and then try to hold your breath while chopping the onions, taking breaks to walk away to breathe. If you can smell the onions – you know the fumes are still getting up to your eyes!

4. samanthanoelle says:

Light a candle. Lighting a candle next to your cutting board helps to burn off the vapors released by the onion that are causing to sob.

Also avoid cutting the core of the onion itself. It contains the a large amount of the sulfur which causes the tears! Just cut around the core, toss it out then chop up the remainder of your onion with your candle burning and VOILA! My dear you will be saved.

And just a heads up to the ice water bath/freezing of the onion: it dilutes the flavor of the onion itself. So it may very well work because I have never tried it. The water will absorb a lot of the flavor of the onion and the freezing will cause crystals in the onion which changes the texture.

5. samanthanoelle says:

Light a candle. Lighting a candle next to your cutting board helps to burn off the vapors released by the onion causing you less likely to sob.

6. Le Chatte Sauvage says:

During your onion cutting, pop your head in the freezer when you start to tear up. Sounds crazy but it really helps! My friends Mom taught us that while we were making dinner and we thought she was crazy, but to this day I do it anytime I cut onions (^_^)

7. sariluthor says:

Looks like everyone has the same idea with chilling. I use to work at a restaurant and I would prep onions for the day. I would get a big bucket and fill it with ice and freezing cold water and let the onions sit in it for over an hour. It worked most of the time.

8. ericlepetit says:

It seems you only have two options :
    1/Wear swimming goggles while cutting your onion. Sure you’ll look silly (much less than with skiing mask ;-)) but your eyes won’t sting.

2) Make your spouse cut the onions for you.
    ;-)

9. By chilling your onions they will significantly reduce the amount of tears that you produce. I always put mine in the refridgerator when I bring them home from the store but if you don’t, just pop them in a freezer for a little while. I learned this technique when I was taking Culinary Arts classes. It was a lifesaver for everyone in the class – sharp objects flying about trying to get the meals done on time with tears streaming down your face is not the best of combinations. :)

10. nano56 says:

I wear contacts & that really helps out.

11. hapasweet says:

Have you tried chilling the onions prior? I usually put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes and then pull them out and chop away! :)

Add a Comment...